This is the Place Heritage Park in Salt Lake City is the perfect place for a wedding with a taste of Utah history. There are several venues to choose from, including original pioneer homes and chapels, and the view from the park is absolutely stunning.
Here are some basics to help you start planning your wedding at This is the Place Heritage Park.
This is the Place Heritage Park Wedding Info
This is the Place Heritage Park is a venue that will take you and your guests back in time as you begin your future as a married couple. Designed to resemble a pioneer village, the park has multiple original buildings relocated from around the state. They also have several large, modern spaces used for exhibits and events that are perfect for weddings. You just have to choose what you want!
The best months to host a wedding at This is the Place Heritage Park are April through October, though events are held there year-round.
Wedding Ceremony Sites
No matter the size of your wedding party, or your vision for your ceremony, This is the Place Heritage Park has a ceremony venue perfect for you.
- The Garden Place is the most popular wedding venue on the grounds. It is a large barn-like structure with a charming rock patio. Weddings can be held either on the patio in front of a waterfall or stone fireplace, or indoors in front of large windows that overlook the mountains.
- The Atkin Home is an original pioneer rock home. The best place for a ceremony here is on the lawn behind the home at the foothills of the mountains surrounded by mature trees. For an intimate indoor wedding, a ceremony in front of the fireplace would be ideal.
- Brigham Young Farm House is a home once owned by the church leader. Outdoor ceremonies can be held in a charming gazebo behind the building. Due to the historic nature of the home, indoor ceremonies are not an option.
- The Kimball Home is a charming venue with a wrap-around deck that overlooks the entire property. Outdoor ceremonies can be held on the lawn in front of a waterfall, and indoor ceremonies are held in front of the fireplace in the main parlor with an elegant tin ceiling and brass light fixtures.
- Ottinger Hall is a stately red brick building with a lush lawn surrounding it. Indoor weddings take place in a meeting room with bright white walls and light oak floors, while outdoor ceremonies are on the lawn at the base of the mountains.
- The Pack Home is a perfect venue for smaller ceremonies. Indoors you can wed under oak-beamed ceilings and charming antique light fixtures, and outdoors there is a patio with a view of the mountains.
- Pine Valley Chapel is a quaint venue with oak pews, high arched ceilings, and a stage area where you can say your vows. The stairs in front of the chapel are ideal for pictures.
- The Plaza is a large open area overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. There is a large arbor where you can hold your ceremony, or you may want to wed in front of the fountain. If you really want a piece of Utah history in your wedding there also is a replica of the Eagle Gate where ceremonies can be held.
- The Pioneer Center is the newest venue on the site. Ceremonies here are held indoors in front of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the “This is the Place” monument. It also has large bronze sculptures of pioneer families.
- Smoot Hall was originally the building for Brigham Young Academy. It features an indoor ceremony site that is quite simple for couples who want a space to make their own.
Wedding Reception Sites
Many of the ceremony sites double as reception venues with the exception of the Pine Valley Chapel. All can accommodate sit-down meals as well as cocktail or flowing receptions. The only spaces big enough for dancing are the Garden Place, the Pioneer Center, and Plaza.
There are several additional reception-only spaces available as well.
- Miller Pavillion and Pioneer Pavillon are both great for a reception with a picnic feel. Both are covered spaces with picnic benches and plenty of room to mingle.
- The Emigration Room is a space in the Pioneer Center perfect for smaller receptions. It features a large screen for image and video projection, as well as hardwood floors and modern light fixtures.
Bridal Suite/ Getting Ready Rooms
All ceremony sites feature spaces for couples to get ready for their vows. They vary on the location chosen.
Other unique amenities
This is the Place Heritage Park is the place to have your wedding if you are a Utah history buff. Your guests will get a feel for the pioneer heritage of the state while enjoying the beautiful scenery of the Wasatch Mountains. You also can rent the train to take guests around the property!
What is the capacity?
Capacity depends on the venue chosen.
- The Garden Place can accommodate 350 guests inside and 200 guests outside.
- The Atkin Home can accommodate 40 guests inside and 120 guests outside.
- Brigham Young Farmhouse can accommodate 200 outside.
- The Emigration Room can accommodate 150 guests indoors or 350 outdoors with plaza rental.
- The Kimball Home can accommodate 100 guests inside and 120 guests outside.
- Miller Pavillion can accommodate 120 guests outside.
- The Pack Home can accommodate 72 guests inside and 48 outside.
- Pine Valley Chapel can accommodate 120 guests inside.
- Pioneer Pavillion can accommodate 300 guests outside.
- The Pioneer Center can accommodate 150 guests indoors and 350 outdoors with plaza rental.
- The Plaza can accommodate 350 guests outside.
- Ottinger Hall can accommodate 96 guests inside and 48 outside.
- Smoot Hall can accommodate 96 guests inside.
Where is the location?
This is the Place Heritage Park is located at the mouth of Emigration Canyon on Salt Lake City’s east bench. It is 30 minutes from the Salt Lake City International Airport.
How many weddings are hosted on-site each day?
Multiple weddings can be held on the grounds each day due to the large number of facilities available. A maximum of two weddings can be held at any one venue, but you can reserve the entire day if you so wish.
Are there any time or noise restrictions?
All events must end by 11 PM.
Is this venue ADA-accessible?
The Garden Place is ADA-accessible. Please contact the staff to discuss accessibility for the other locations.
What is the pet policy?
Pets are allowed on a leash for the ceremony only.
This is the Place Heritage Park Wedding Cost
The rental fees for This is the Place Heritage Park depends on the venue chosen, the day of the week, the time of day, and the length of the rental period. The Garden Place, the most popular venue, ranges in price from $3,295 to $4,995.
All rental fees include tables and chairs (except for the plaza) and audiovisual equipment.
Wedding Catering and Lodging
What are the catering options?
This is the Place Heritage Park has a list of preferred caterers and an additional fee is charged if couples want to use a caterer not on the list.
Alcohol is allowed but must be served by a bartender on their preferred vendor list or one that is affiliated with your caterer.
There are no restrictions on wedding cakes.
What are the included decor options and restrictions?
There are varying restrictions in place due to the historic nature of the venues. Please call for more details.
What are the lodging (on-site or nearby) options?
The University Marriott and University Guesthouse are the closest lodging options. There also is a Hampton Inn nearby and Salt Lake City is minutes away with hundreds of lodging options.
Is there an in-house wedding planner or day-of coordinator?
A day-of coordinator and park liaison is provided by the venue.
What are some nearby attractions?
This Is The Place Heritage Park is a live-history park with many family-friendly activities. These include a historic main street, carriage rides, and a train. What’s more, there’s mining at Treasure House and hands-on learning in the Native American Village.
Red Butte Garden, Hogle Zoo, and the Natural History Museum of Utah are also all within minutes of the park.
This is the Place Heritage Park Contact Info
For more information, please contact Sharon Goodrich (Director of Events) at 801-924-7507 or email@example.com.
This Is the Place Heritage Park
2601 East Sunnyside Ave.
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Why you should get married at This is the Place Heritage Park
Utah History comes to life at This is the Place Heritage Park. But you don’t have to be a handcart expert to enjoy its charm and beauty. The variety of spaces, from a small cabin to a large modern hall, gives couples lots of options. The location of the park is perfect for guests coming from the Wasatch Front, or arriving at the airport. And the grounds and views are absolutely amazing.
More Utah Wedding Venues
Still searching for the perfect wedding venue? You’re in luck! We’ve created the most comprehensive online wedding venue guide in Utah. Read in-depth information and costs for more than 50 Utah Wedding Venues!
Where to Go Next
- Browse my wedding photography portfolio.
- Learn about the experience you’d have working with me.
- Contact me today to schedule a chat about your wedding!
*Updated in May 2023 to reflect current wedding information. Please always confirm pricing and details with the venue, as items are subject to change.